Whether you’re learning to code online, at a bootcamp, or in-person, there’s one supplementary resource that we recommend to accompany your learning: books. But with so many programming books to choose from (a Google search brings up over 12 million related results) how do you know which ones to choose?
We decided to do some crowdsourcing and asked our awesome community on Facebook and Twitter: If there was one programming book you’d recommended, what would it be? We got lots of great responses and after sorting through them pulled together the top 25 (listed in no particular order).
1. Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship by Robert C. Martin
2. Code Complete: A Practical Handbook of Software Construction by Steve McConnell
3. Think Like a Programmer: An Introduction to Creative Problem Solving by V. Anton Spraul
4. Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware & Software by Charles Petzold
5. Starting Out with Programming Logic & Design by Tony Gaddis
6. Beginning Programming All-In-One Desk Reference For Dummies by Wallace Wang
7. Cracking the Coding Interview: 189 Programming Questions & Solutions by Gayle Laakmann McDowell
HTML & CSS
9. HTML and CSS: Design & Build Websites by Jon Duckett
10. Head First HTML and CSS: A Learner’s Guide to Creating Standards-Based Web Pages by Elisabeth Robson
11. You Don’t Know JS: Up & Going by Kyle Simpson
19. Fluent Python: Clear, Concise, and Effective Programming by Luciano Ramalho
20. Python Crash Course: A Hands-On, Project-Based Introduction to Programming by Eric Matthes
22. The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master by Andrew Hunt
23. iOS Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide by Christian Keur
24. Java How to Program, Early Objects by Paul J. Deitel
25. Algorithms to Live By: The Computer Science of Human Decisions by Brian Christian and Tom Griffiths
This is definitely not an exhaustive list, so we’d love to hear from you. What programming books would you add to the list?
Comments are closed.
Front End Web Design
iOS Development with Swift
Python Web Development
Each is designed by our faculty of tech professionals to guide even a coding beginner to becoming a job-ready software developer armed with a professional portfolio of real-world projects. Try one out today with our free seven-day trial, and see if software development is for you.