Learn40 Web Developers to Follow on Twitter

Update: You can now follow this list with just one click. Head over to the @carsonified/top-web-devs list.

I’ve been on Twitter since 2006 (@ryancarson) and it’s where I get all my news these days. It’s important to know who to follow in order to get the best advice, tips and news.

Here’s a list of the top web developers on Twitter (in no particular order). I’ll also be publishing lists for web designers, entrepreneurs and ‘generally interesting’ people.

[Updated: I’ve added some new names that should’ve made the first cut!]

I wasn’t able to fit everyone on this list, so please feel free to make suggestions in the comments.

  1. Leah Culver @leahculver
  2. Kevin Marks @kevinmarks
  3. John Maeda @johnmaeda
  4. Xeni Jardin @xenijardin
  5. Rasmus Lerdorf @rasmus
  6. Aza Raskin @azaaza
  7. Ian Dodsworth @iaindodsworth
  8. Gina Trapani @ginatrapani
  9. Francisco Tolmasky @tolmasky
  10. Jonathan Snook @snookca
  11. Brittany Bohnet @brit
  12. Blake Ross @blakeross
  13. Jeff Atwood @codinghorror
  14. David Recordon @daveman692
  15. Eric Meyer @meyerweb
  16. David Heinemeier Hansson @d2h
  17. Jamis Buck @jamis
  18. Andre Torrez@torrez
  19. Joe Stump @joestump
  20. Dion Almaer @dalmaer
  21. Molly E. Holzschlag @mollydotcom
  22. Chris Wilson @cwilso
  23. Shaun Inman @shauninman
  24. Mike Buzzard @mbuzzard
  25. Billie M. Mandel @synaesthete
  26. Simon Willison @simonw
  27. Matt Mullenweg @photomatt
  28. Matt Biddulph @mattb
  29. Garrett Dimon @garrettdimon
  30. Gabe Rivera @gaberivera
  31. Daniela Barbosa @danielabarbosa
  32. Drew McLellan @drewm
  33. Blaine Cook @blaine
  34. Chris Lea @chrislea
  35. John Resig @jeresig
  36. Stefan Magdalinski @smagdali
  37. Tim Bray @timbray
  38. Nate Koechley @natekoechley
  39. Christian Heilmann @codepo8
  40. Brad Neuberg @bradneuberg
  41. Alex Payne @al3x
  42. Marco Arment @marcoarment
  43. Rey Bango @reybango
  44. Cal Henderson @iamcal

Photo credit: flickr.com/photos/mloesjeenzo

231 Responses to “40 Web Developers to Follow on Twitter”

  1. LionEater on December 1, 2016 at 8:41 pm said:

    In Hamilton, Ontario where we operated there are only a few web developers who each focus mostly on a particular niche (brand development, for example). Since our agency is search centric, people don’t consider it design, but a lot of design goes into our work.

  2. koko i guess

  3. Wedding Favors on April 12, 2011 at 4:02 pm said:

    Great list, is there any way we you could give an updated version?

  4. wedding favors on February 1, 2011 at 6:33 am said:

    Great list to follow on twitter. Thank you!

  5. wedding favors personalized on December 1, 2010 at 7:35 am said:

    This is excellent! I love using Twitter! ^_^

  6. REBECCA MURPHEY
    NICOLE SULLIVAN

    break up the sausage party

  7. kara büyü on March 18, 2010 at 1:33 pm said:

    Great list, I just started to use Twitter – I know i’m pretty late!

  8. I’ve subscribed to this list. Thanks for sharing. I am also website developer and my twitter is http://twitter.com/websitesdevel

  9. Jason Green on January 22, 2010 at 9:17 am said:

    We are a london based web development team and have just launch a new twitter bookmarking service, please check it out and give us some feedback at http://www.birdpie.com or ping us on twitter @bird_pie

  10. Great list, I just started to use Twitter – I know i’m pretty late!

  11. Cigarrest on January 4, 2010 at 3:52 am said:

    Thanks for the great list.

  12. Article directory on December 26, 2009 at 12:52 pm said:

    Great article….

  13. tenkyou admins.. livee

  14. psycholog on December 11, 2009 at 9:36 pm said:

    this is a really great place to visit 🙂

  15. I’m really very useful to follow a long-time see this as a blog here Thank you for your valuable information.

  16. konya chat on November 22, 2009 at 7:41 pm said:

    thanks you very good admin

  17. Thank you very much for this useful article and the comments

  18. Mircindir bayanlarla sohbet et…

  19. thak you

  20. degil mi?

  21. anlastik degil mi?

  22. hank ypoy

  23. erotikvideolar on November 16, 2009 at 12:11 pm said:

    thak you erotik

  24. thank ypoy

  25. Raghuram Reddy on November 3, 2009 at 2:17 pm said:

    good to see the developers group at single place who are twitting.

    thnks,
    Raghuram Reddy Gottimukkula
    certified coldfusion developer
    Bangalore

  26. i like it. fx15 ile zayıflayın fx15

  27. Sarah - SEO Liverpool on October 1, 2009 at 4:26 pm said:

    Nice list of Twitter users – impossible to follow them all though x)

  28. great article!!

  29. Güzellik Bakım on August 29, 2009 at 4:31 pm said:

    Nice list, but a lot of these people seem to be very close to “web designer”– a few that I know of just do css/html, which puts them on a close line (developers are always telling me that just doing html/css is lightweight development…very little actually logic just for display).

  30. Liseli seks on August 28, 2009 at 1:06 am said:

    There’s…an increased passion for ‘doing the people’s work’ I guess you could say…or at least that what it looks like from the outside where i stand. wtf I hope you’ll have a look and share it with readers. and wtf We were incredibly encouraged by the Obamaaaa

  31. There’s…an increased passion for ‘doing the people’s work’ I guess you could say…or at least that what it looks like from the outside where i stand. wtf I hope you’ll have a look and share it with readers. and wtf We were incredibly encouraged by the Obama memo, as we’ve been talking about that same visionand wtf We were incredibly encouraged by the Obama memo, as we’ve been talking about that same Visio and wtf and wtf With the passage of the stimulus bill, we are now embarking on having a website for every law that is passed. are really great! And sorbet!!

  32. frank fr on July 22, 2009 at 8:12 pm said:

    I mean ‘your eyes’ dammit!

  33. Web Development Company UK on July 20, 2009 at 10:38 am said:

    Thank you for posting such a useful, impressive and a wicked article.

  34. Pari sportifs on July 9, 2009 at 4:46 pm said:

    great !!!

  35. Nice list of great twitter members!
    Thanks

  36. thanks admin good post

  37. @MindSmack on June 9, 2009 at 1:08 am said:

    I have been a big fan of @JasonSnell – Editorial Director of Macworld and @Padmasree Warrior CTO at Cisco Systems.

    http://twitter.com/mindsmack

  38. @MindSmack on June 9, 2009 at 1:08 am said:

    I have been a big fan of @JasonSnell – Editorial Director of Macworld and @Padmasree Warrior CTO at Cisco Systems.

    http://twitter.com/mindsmack

  39. mayakanon on June 4, 2009 at 6:04 am said:

    Great list. I'm going to follow this people. Thanks.

  40. piller on May 23, 2009 at 2:27 am said:

    yeah, no doubt, these people know how to help you with your questions when it comes to twitter.

  41. konteyner on May 18, 2009 at 3:52 pm said:

    thanks, very useful list.

  42. Thanks for the list 🙂
    Article Directory

  43. Thanks for the list :)Article Directory

  44. acai berry cleanse on April 20, 2009 at 3:44 pm said:

    Hi,This is really good idea.It is really helpful to all. Thanks for sharing…

  45. acai berry cleanse on April 20, 2009 at 10:44 am said:

    Hi,
    This is really good idea.
    It is really helpful to all. Thanks for sharing…

  46. Acai Berry on April 16, 2009 at 4:45 am said:

    A company in the UK that makes useful web apps and runs events, conferences and workshops.

  47. Thank You for the list.Hope One day my name will also be included.LOL.

    Maclaren Twin Triumph Stroller

    Maclaren Techno Stroller

  48. Thank You for the list.Hope One day my name will also be included.LOL.Maclaren Twin Triumph StrollerMaclaren Techno Stroller

  49. JasonOne on April 15, 2009 at 3:42 am said:

    “Successful websites only occur when experienced and knowledgeable web developers and designers work together in harmony. Hence it is important to choose a website developer carefully as it often means the difference between the success and failure of the website.”

    Thank you so much for the list Ryan!
    —Wedding Favors from Atlanta, GA

  50. JasonOne on April 15, 2009 at 8:42 am said:

    “Successful websites only occur when experienced and knowledgeable web developers and designers work together in harmony. Hence it is important to choose a website developer carefully as it often means the difference between the success and failure of the website.”Thank you so much for the list Ryan!–Wedding Favors from Atlanta, GA

  51. استضافة on April 9, 2009 at 3:20 pm said:

    Which languages do they develop in mainly?

  52. Krystal on April 3, 2009 at 5:02 pm said:

    Forgot to also thank all the suggestions from the comments also!

  53. Krystal on April 3, 2009 at 4:59 pm said:

    Great list to follow on Twitter! Thanks 🙂

  54. Carl - Web Courses Bangkok on March 29, 2009 at 9:19 pm said:

    Some useful and interesting people on the list 🙂 THanks

  55. I've just recently begun using Twitter. I think it is great as long as you don't have too many people that you are suign to stay in contact with, as that can get overwhelming.

    Chris

    homes new jersey for sale

  56. I've just recently begun using Twitter. I think it is great as long as you don't have too many people that you are suign to stay in contact with, as that can get overwhelming.Chrishomes new jersey for sale

  57. Narmadi on March 22, 2009 at 2:39 am said:

    Thanks for the lists…I'm going to follow them

  58. Narmadi on March 22, 2009 at 7:39 am said:

    Thanks for the lists…I'm going to follow them

  59. Simon Hamp on March 18, 2009 at 8:20 pm said:

    any chance I could get on there? @simonhamp

  60. I agree…so many build up so fast that reading every single one would be ridiculous.

    Chris

    home mortgage newark

  61. I agree…so many build up so fast that reading every single one would be ridiculous.Chrishome mortgage newark

  62. web2.0guy on March 17, 2009 at 5:58 pm said:

    A whole bunch of “to follow” lists: http://followontwitterlists.com/

  63. What makes someone a “top web developer”? Is it the company they work for (Apple, Google …) or is it because they have a blog that a lot of people visit? I was just wondering where this list came from. You didn't explain that in the blog post. Thanks.

  64. What makes someone a “top web developer”? Is it the company they work for (Apple, Google …) or is it because they have a blog that a lot of people visit? I was just wondering where this list came from. You didn't explain that in the blog post. Thanks.

  65. Joel Drapper on March 15, 2009 at 2:35 pm said:

    You don't have to read every single tweet.

  66. Joel Drapper on March 15, 2009 at 7:35 pm said:

    You don't have to read every single tweet.

  67. Joel Drapper on March 15, 2009 at 2:34 pm said:

    You missed the most important web developer, and twitter user in the world, ME! (@JoelDrapper)

    Just kidding… but you should do a list of youngest web developers on twitter sometime.

    Great list, thanks a lot. I'm now following you too.

  68. Joel Drapper on March 15, 2009 at 7:34 pm said:

    You missed the most important web developer, and twitter user in the world, ME! (@JoelDrapper)Just kidding… but you should do a list of youngest web developers on twitter sometime.Great list, thanks a lot. I'm now following you too.

  69. archery bows on March 13, 2009 at 8:27 am said:

    well done … me too 🙂

  70. well, thanks for the list, I'm gonna add and check it later.. 😉
    again.. thanks!

  71. well, thanks for the list, I'm gonna add and check it later.. ;)again.. thanks!

  72. Some do, some don't – some talk about webdev *part* of the time. But even if they're not all webdev all the time, they're good to have as resources if you get stuck, need inspiration, etc. I have lots of industry people on my follow list. Not all of them talk shop 24/7, but I like that too.

  73. Some do, some don't – some talk about webdev *part* of the time. But even if they're not all webdev all the time, they're good to have as resources if you get stuck, need inspiration, etc. I have lots of industry people on my follow list. Not all of them talk shop 24/7, but I like that too.

  74. (They are all PHP devs)

  75. Don't forget @ElizabethN, @snipeyhead, @maggie1000 for wimmin devs. @snipeyhead wrote a few books, and @ElizabethN and @maggie present at conferences, IIRC

  76. Don't forget @ElizabethN, @snipeyhead, @maggie1000 for wimmin devs. @snipeyhead wrote a few books, and @ElizabethN and @maggie present at conferences, IIRC

  77. May be I am too old (I am 36) , but I don't get the point. Why is twitter so popular. I spent a while on it and all I can say it: it's BORING!

  78. May be I am too old (I am 36) , but I don't get the point. Why is twitter so popular. I spent a while on it and all I can say it: it's BORING!

  79. JustinKendall on March 11, 2009 at 2:28 pm said:

    Nice list. I'd suggest @jtkendall. He's a PHP Developer who uses lots of other languages and helps people out when they have questions.

  80. JustinKendall on March 11, 2009 at 7:28 pm said:

    Nice list. I'd suggest @jtkendall. He's a PHP Developer who uses lots of other languages and helps people out when they have questions.

  81. Ray Drainville on March 11, 2009 at 3:53 am said:

    Xeni Jardin is a web developer?

  82. ryancarson on March 10, 2009 at 8:17 pm said:

    That was awesome 🙂

  83. ryancarson on March 10, 2009 at 8:16 pm said:

    Thanks Chris 🙂

  84. ryancarson on March 10, 2009 at 8:15 pm said:

    Fair comment 🙂

  85. nice list! I have to admit that I am a complete twitter newbie. I hope following 40 web designers will not kepp me busy all day long 🙂

  86. RockCityGhost on March 10, 2009 at 10:32 am said:

    Check out @byatool, His updates are a fresh take on programming. It gets back to programming for the fun of it! He is new to Twitter but I have seen his development first hand and it rocks. He is an ASP.NET / C# Developer from Michigan!!

  87. Thanks for the list. I have started using twitter feew weeks ago and I'm addicted. It's good to know that there are some awesome web developers on there I can possibly work something out with. Twitter is amazing and your blog post gives the the resources I can use in the future.

  88. Thanks for the list. I have started using twitter feew weeks ago and I'm addicted. It's good to know that there are some awesome web developers on there I can possibly work something out with. Twitter is amazing and your blog post gives the the resources I can use in the future.

  89. greatlife on March 10, 2009 at 5:27 am said:

    Thanks for this incredible list, it is a really long list….
    i hope i can follow as many as i can on twitter and make the most of it..

    Dave Scott

  90. greatlife on March 10, 2009 at 10:27 am said:

    Thanks for this incredible list, it is a really long list….i hope i can follow as many as i can on twitter and make the most of it..Dave Scott

  91. Web Axe on March 10, 2009 at 12:30 am said:

    Great list. But what about @dennisl? He created www.AccessibleTwitter.com at @accessibleTwitr

  92. Wow so many names how to choose who to follow!

  93. cancel bubble on March 9, 2009 at 10:16 pm said:

    Wouldn't it be better to follow these people's blogs rather than their “mmm, spicy thai for lunch!”

  94. cancel bubble on March 10, 2009 at 3:16 am said:

    Wouldn't it be better to follow these people's blogs rather than their “mmm, spicy thai for lunch!”

  95. Nice list, thanks. This could come in very handy. Twitter is awesome, who doesn't use it these days.

  96. Nice list, thanks. This could come in very handy. Twitter is awesome, who doesn't use it these days.

  97. Joe A. on March 9, 2009 at 8:11 pm said:

    What criteria did you use to claim they're the top web developers?

  98. What criteria did you use to claim they're the top web developers?

  99. Thank you for compiling this list. You have done half my work for me. lol!

  100. ph creative on March 9, 2009 at 9:39 am said:

    We're a web design company in liverpool. We've also started using twitter.

  101. ph creative on March 9, 2009 at 2:39 pm said:

    We're a web design company in liverpool. We've also started using twitter.

  102. Micheil Smith on March 9, 2009 at 6:33 am said:

    Having a list is great and all.. but why should we follow each of these people?

  103. Enrico Teotti on March 8, 2009 at 6:15 pm said:

    I am glad that somebody pointed out that “many don't actually discuss web development much”.

  104. Enrico Teotti on March 8, 2009 at 11:15 pm said:

    I am glad that somebody pointed out that “many don't actually discuss web development much”.

  105. jamesgpearce on March 7, 2009 at 3:20 pm said:

    Dion Almaer is one of the few who actually talks about the craft on Twitter – and since he's at the heart of the Firefox machine, worth following.

    This list contains lots of cool people, but many don't actually discuss web development much. Follow them – of course! – but better for banter & small talk than professional purpose.

    One day you should have a mobile developer list too. There are more than a few gurus on Twitter who are opening up that frontier as we speak.

  106. jamesgpearce on March 7, 2009 at 8:20 pm said:

    Dion Almaer is one of the few who actually talks about the craft on Twitter – and since he's at the heart of the Firefox machine, worth following.This list contains lots of cool people, but many don't actually discuss web development much. Follow them – of course! – but better for banter & small talk than professional purpose.One day you should have a mobile developer list too. There are more than a few gurus on Twitter who are opening up that frontier as we speak.

  107. Wow..thank you so much for recognizing some awesome talent to follow for updated knowledge and tips. So many of us need that. I'm definitely going to follow them on Twitter now!

  108. Wow..thank you so much for recognizing some awesome talent to follow for updated knowledge and tips. So many of us need that. I'm definitely going to follow them on Twitter now!

  109. Here's one: @shoesmith

    On this list too: http://www.invokedprojects.com/blog/entry/10-ex…

  110. Here's one: @shoesmithOn this list too: http://www.invokedprojects.com/blog/entry/10-ex…

  111. shankyrhodes on March 6, 2009 at 5:59 am said:

    thanks for this one.

    www.nycvenueguide.com

  112. shankyrhodes on March 6, 2009 at 10:59 am said:

    thanks for this one.www.nycvenueguide.com

  113. Todd Tweedy on March 5, 2009 at 12:54 pm said:

    Great list. There is a community that is taking off on Twitter – Design Community Twitter Hours — #DCTH run by Chad Engle http://www.twitter.com/dcth

  114. Todd Tweedy on March 5, 2009 at 5:54 pm said:

    Great list. There is a community that is taking off on Twitter – Design Community Twitter Hours — #DCTH run by Chad Engle http://www.twitter.com/dcth

  115. Andre Koen - AM Horizons on March 5, 2009 at 12:42 am said:

    Nice list.

    No doubt you are on twitter since 2006, with your experience and knowledge you made the list – superb!

    I will wait for your list of web designers, entrepreneurs and interesting people.

  116. Andre Koen - AM Horizons on March 5, 2009 at 5:42 am said:

    Nice list. No doubt you are on twitter since 2006, with your experience and knowledge you made the list – superb!I will wait for your list of web designers, entrepreneurs and interesting people.

  117. Dallas Clark on March 4, 2009 at 11:59 pm said:

    How about me ? 😛

    http://www.twitter.com/dallasclark

  118. Dallas Clark on March 5, 2009 at 4:59 am said:

    How about me ? :Phttp://www.twitter.com/dallasclark

  119. Chris Wallace on March 4, 2009 at 3:02 pm said:

    Ryan, I think this list is the perfect size. I also think it's funny how angry people can get over a simple blog post. Calm down folks, this isn't life or death, it's just a list of cool people.

  120. Chris Wallace on March 4, 2009 at 8:02 pm said:

    Ryan, I think this list is the perfect size. I also think it's funny how angry people can get over a simple blog post. Calm down folks, this isn't life or death, it's just a list of cool people.

  121. marcovhv on March 4, 2009 at 2:16 pm said:

    It's a mixed bag. This is definitely not what I'd call a list of web developers. I see designers, evangelists, both back-end and front-end people, user interaction designers and probably more different professions in this list.

    While most of these people are definitely worth following, this list is definitely NOT 'a list of web developers'.

  122. marcovhv on March 4, 2009 at 7:16 pm said:

    It's a mixed bag. This is definitely not what I'd call a list of web developers. I see designers, evangelists, both back-end and front-end people, user interaction designers and probably more different professions in this list.While most of these people are definitely worth following, this list is definitely NOT 'a list of web developers'.

  123. Brad Neuberg on March 4, 2009 at 2:10 pm said:

    Seesmic video reply from Disqus.

  124. peter pan on March 4, 2009 at 12:35 pm said:

    Are these web developers or HTML coders? Sure don't /look/ like a bunch of senior developers that are worth following…

  125. peter pan on March 4, 2009 at 5:35 pm said:

    Are these web developers or HTML coders? Sure don't /look/ like a bunch of senior developers that are worth following…

  126. sohbet on March 4, 2009 at 2:17 am said:

    very nice blogg

  127. Robin Muilwijk on March 4, 2009 at 2:13 am said:

    If you want to make the list really complete, make sure to add Arno http://twitter.com/me_arno , an experienced designer and his slogan says it all: “…designing amazing is our nature”

  128. Erin Richie on March 3, 2009 at 5:03 pm said:

    Thanks for the list looks like i am off to check them out thanks.

  129. Bill Leonard on March 3, 2009 at 2:29 pm said:

    no Zeldman?

  130. ryancarson on March 3, 2009 at 2:19 pm said:

    The hope is he'll start 🙂

  131. ryancarson on March 3, 2009 at 7:19 pm said:

    The hope is he'll start 🙂

  132. Brad Neuberg may be a talented developer (I have no idea who he is), but he has posted exactly two updates, both nine months ago. How is he someone I must follow?

  133. ryancarson on March 3, 2009 at 1:30 pm said:

    Argh! Cal – I'll add you. My bad 🙁

  134. ryancarson on March 3, 2009 at 6:30 pm said:

    Argh! Cal – I'll add you. My bad 🙁

  135. Nice! Twitter is getting huge, I really need to get a account there before I get left behind

  136. JimBowen on March 3, 2009 at 6:10 am said:

    What about Jeremy Keith

  137. marcovhv on March 3, 2009 at 5:32 am said:

    Agreed. For some of them I know why they're on the list but many of them are unknown to me.

  138. marcovhv on March 3, 2009 at 10:32 am said:

    Agreed. For some of them I know why they're on the list but many of them are unknown to me.

  139. Black Hippy Chick is an African American Web Developer she was formally the chapter leader of Webgrrls Atlanta according to her blog. She does not write anything at all about web design but she has a rather entertaining blog and feed about life and politics . Her blog includes videos. The feed for her twitter is http://twitter.com/blackhippychick

  140. markce on March 3, 2009 at 4:48 am said:

    This web developers list would be more helpful if you gave a “why they are on this list” tagline to each one.

  141. ryancarson on March 3, 2009 at 3:48 am said:

    25% is higher than the industry average, actually.

  142. Claudio M. E. Bastos Iorio on March 3, 2009 at 3:09 am said:

    Hi, I'm a System Engineer, from Argentina, working on web 2.0 related projects, social apps.. You can follow me on http://twitter.com/selecters75

  143. Claudio M. E. Bastos Iorio on March 3, 2009 at 8:09 am said:

    Hi, I'm a System Engineer, from Argentina, working on web 2.0 related projects, social apps.. You can follow me on http://twitter.com/selecters75

  144. jacobo villegas on March 3, 2009 at 2:43 am said:

    thanks for sharing the list. @problogger just twitted you

    http://www.twitter.com/jacobovillegas

  145. jacobo villegas on March 3, 2009 at 7:43 am said:

    thanks for sharing the list. @problogger just twitted youhttp://www.twitter.com/jacobovillegas

  146. Damien on March 3, 2009 at 2:20 am said:

    Developpers…. Why is there less than 10 wimen for 40 DEvs ?

  147. ryancarson on March 3, 2009 at 12:05 am said:

    Hey Sonburn – those folks are are designers 🙂

  148. ryancarson on March 3, 2009 at 12:05 am said:

    A lot of folks want to know who are the leading developers to follow from and learn from, so yes, you bet it's valuable information. It's subjective, but it's still valuable.

  149. ryancarson on March 3, 2009 at 5:05 am said:

    A lot of folks want to know who are the leading developers to follow from and learn from, so yes, you bet it's valuable information. It's subjective, but it's still valuable.

  150. Cotton Rohrscheib on March 3, 2009 at 12:03 am said:

    Thanks for the cool list.

  151. Ralph Holzmann on March 2, 2009 at 10:17 pm said:

    I wish you would specify what sites these people develop from.

  152. Ralph Holzmann on March 3, 2009 at 3:17 am said:

    I wish you would specify what sites these people develop from.

  153. mayhemstudios on March 2, 2009 at 7:39 pm said:

    Buzzlair

    Thanks for recommending me. True, I'm a designer, not a dev. html/css is as far I go. 🙂

    – Cal

  154. mayhemstudios on March 3, 2009 at 12:39 am said:

    BuzzlairThanks for recommending me. True, I'm a designer, not a dev. html/css is as far I go. :)- Cal

  155. Leon Poole on March 2, 2009 at 6:20 pm said:

    Thanks for the list Ryan – I generally follow fellow web designers, but you're right in putting this list together – web developers are equally important and worthwhile following. 🙂

    My details for consideration on your upcoming web designers list:

    @creativeworld
    http://twitter.com/creativeworld

    🙂

  156. Leon Poole on March 2, 2009 at 11:20 pm said:

    Thanks for the list Ryan – I generally follow fellow web designers, but you're right in putting this list together – web developers are equally important and worthwhile following. :)My details for consideration on your upcoming web designers list:@creativeworldhttp://twitter.com/creativeworld:)

  157. Jordan on March 2, 2009 at 6:11 pm said:

    Great list, thanks for posting! @jordanbrown

  158. Andy Hume on March 2, 2009 at 4:22 pm said:

    For goodness sake, Ryan. You don't half set yourself up for some piss taking. I mean honestly, “40 Web Developers to Follow on Twitter”? How is this interesting commentary? O'Reilly Media must be quaking in their boots.

    I like you, really. And I've oft enjoyed your conferences and training events. But I sometimes wander what planet you are living on.

  159. Andy Hume on March 2, 2009 at 9:22 pm said:

    For goodness sake, Ryan. You don't half set yourself up for some piss taking. I mean honestly, “40 Web Developers to Follow on Twitter”? How is this interesting commentary? O'Reilly Media must be quaking in their boots.I like you, really. And I've oft enjoyed your conferences and training events. But I sometimes wander what planet you are living on.

  160. ryancarson on March 2, 2009 at 4:14 pm said:

    The list is completely subjective, but the basic criteria was whether or not they had built something high-profile and successful.

  161. zoblue on March 2, 2009 at 4:06 pm said:

    I mean 'your eyes' dammit!

  162. zoblue on March 2, 2009 at 9:06 pm said:

    I mean 'your eyes' dammit!

  163. zoblue on March 2, 2009 at 4:01 pm said:

    I would love a short summary of each one, but I bet you're eyes would be tired after all that. :p

  164. zoblue on March 2, 2009 at 9:01 pm said:

    I would love a short summary of each one, but I bet you're eyes would be tired after all that. :p

  165. Hmm. Wondering what the definition of Web Developer is.

  166. How glamorous! Follow their tweets, take part in their famous life! And maybe, one day, one of them will start following you!

  167. Is this just a list of developers on twitter? What is the actual criteria to be listed? Is there one? While some are well known, others are not so much and, I assume, simply added because of their popularity rather than skill. Have you reviewed their code?

    There are thousands of fantastic apps and code around and this list can't come anywhere near to listing all of them and seems to just be a popularity contest rather than a “useful” list.

    I imagine the designer list will be easier to create as their work can be viewed, but the work done behind the scenes is not as easy to review.

  168. Is this just a list of developers on twitter? What is the actual criteria to be listed? Is there one? While some are well known, others are not so much and, I assume, simply added because of their popularity rather than skill. Have you reviewed their code?There are thousands of fantastic apps and code around and this list can't come anywhere near to listing all of them and seems to just be a popularity contest rather than a “useful” list.I imagine the designer list will be easier to create as their work can be viewed, but the work done behind the scenes is not as easy to review.

  169. Amber Weinberg on March 2, 2009 at 3:15 pm said:

    dangit i didnt make it 😉

  170. Sonburn on March 2, 2009 at 1:21 pm said:

    Jason Fried (@jasonfried), Dave Shea (@mezzoblue), Cameron Moll (@cameronmoll), Jason Santa Maria (@jasonsantamaria)

  171. Andrew Wee on March 2, 2009 at 12:54 pm said:

    Chris Pearson, creator of the Thesis WP theme @pearsonified
    Brian Gardner, creator of Revolution WP theme (now StudioPress) @bgardner

  172. Andrew Wee on March 2, 2009 at 5:54 pm said:

    Chris Pearson, creator of the Thesis WP theme @pearsonifiedBrian Gardner, creator of Revolution WP theme (now StudioPress) @bgardner

  173. djuggler on March 2, 2009 at 12:47 pm said:

    Doug McCaughan @djuggler is a totally rockin' web developer for PHP/MySQL CF/MSSQL & up on social applications & trends and should definitely be followed! (of course, I may be a little biased..well, a lot biased)

  174. djuggler on March 2, 2009 at 5:47 pm said:

    Doug McCaughan @djuggler is a totally rockin' web developer for PHP/MySQL CF/MSSQL & up on social applications & trends and should definitely be followed! (of course, I may be a little biased..well, a lot biased)

  175. Alex Popescu on March 2, 2009 at 5:01 pm said:

    @plightbo: Patrick Lightbody: webwork, struts2, selenium, openqa, browsermob.com@mraible: Matt Raible: almost any Java web framework, appfuse, @graemerocher: Graeme Rocher, grails@al3xandru: Alex Popescu, webwork, struts2, InfoQ.com, (working now on the.dailycloud.net)

  176. Alex Popescu on March 2, 2009 at 12:01 pm said:

    @plightbo: Patrick Lightbody: webwork, struts2, selenium, openqa, browsermob.com
    @mraible: Matt Raible: almost any Java web framework, appfuse,
    @graemerocher: Graeme Rocher, grails
    @al3xandru: Alex Popescu, webwork, struts2, InfoQ.com, (working now on the.dailycloud.net)

  177. Jaan Orvet on March 2, 2009 at 11:54 am said:

    May I suggest one more? Andreas Carlsson @nofont Progressive, inventive, brilliant.

  178. ryancarson on March 2, 2009 at 11:54 am said:

    Hey Alex – can you please tell me more about those folks?

  179. ryancarson on March 2, 2009 at 11:54 am said:

    Added! Thanks

  180. Alex Popescu on March 2, 2009 at 11:47 am said:

    I'd like to suggest a couple more names: @plightbo, @mraible, @graemerocher and without any false modesty @al3xandru.

  181. Alex Popescu on March 2, 2009 at 4:47 pm said:

    I'd like to suggest a couple more names: @plightbo, @mraible, @graemerocher and without any false modesty @al3xandru.

  182. ryancarson on March 2, 2009 at 11:46 am said:

    Damn – I feel dumb now. Going to amend the list soon. So sorry Rey!!

  183. Rey Bango on March 2, 2009 at 11:40 am said:

    Hmm. 20 years of development says otherwise. Let me know if you'd like a copy of my resume. 😉

    I still <3 ya Ryan. 🙂

  184. Dan Oliver on March 2, 2009 at 11:40 am said:

    Is Xeni Jardin a web developer? Didn't realise that. Cool list, btw 🙂

  185. Rey Bango on March 2, 2009 at 4:40 pm said:

    Hmm. 20 years of development says otherwise. Let me know if you'd like a copy of my resume. ;)I still <3 ya Ryan. 🙂

  186. Dan Oliver on March 2, 2009 at 4:40 pm said:

    Is Xeni Jardin a web developer? Didn't realise that. Cool list, btw 🙂

  187. i vote for twitter's @al3x & tumblr's @marco

  188. gueamu on March 2, 2009 at 4:38 pm said:

    i vote for twitter's @al3x & tumblr's @marco

  189. ryancarson on March 2, 2009 at 11:37 am said:

    I mentioned this above, but Andy is a designer, not a developer. So he'll go no the next list 🙂

  190. ryancarson on March 2, 2009 at 4:37 pm said:

    I mentioned this above, but Andy is a designer, not a developer. So he'll go no the next list 🙂

  191. ryancarson on March 2, 2009 at 4:18 pm said:

    Great point Michael – I should've sorted that out. Will do so now!

  192. ryancarson on March 2, 2009 at 11:18 am said:

    Great point Michael – I should've sorted that out. Will do so now!

  193. Prepare for about 1000 what about me comments.

  194. thanks for this list

  195. ryancarson on March 2, 2009 at 8:34 am said:

    Rey is indeed awesome 🙂 But he's not really a developer.

  196. ryancarson on March 2, 2009 at 1:34 pm said:

    Rey is indeed awesome 🙂 But he's not really a developer.

  197. Michael Thompson on March 2, 2009 at 8:32 am said:

    What, no alt text so we know who's-who in the images? On a blog/site about web development? Oh man, we're screwed as an industry.

  198. Michael Thompson on March 2, 2009 at 1:32 pm said:

    What, no alt text so we know who's-who in the images? On a blog/site about web development? Oh man, we're screwed as an industry.

  199. Shane Sponagle on March 2, 2009 at 7:21 am said:

    Nice list, thanks. It would have been nice to have the devs identified by what they are into. I had to read each ones bio and visit the site before deciding to follow or not (the ones I did not know that is).

  200. mcaulay on March 2, 2009 at 7:05 am said:

    i vote for @reybango because he's a good guy!

  201. mcaulay on March 2, 2009 at 12:05 pm said:

    i vote for @reybango because he's a good guy!

  202. Buzzlair Voufincci on March 2, 2009 at 6:50 am said:

    oops my fault. im sorry for the wrong info id gave ya.

  203. ryancarson on March 2, 2009 at 6:48 am said:

    Doh – thanks 🙂

  204. kat neville on March 2, 2009 at 6:44 am said:

    Yea, it's a hard line– I don't actually have many notorious web developers I follow, just web developer mates (who are brilliant, but not that famous). I'm surprised @elliottkember didn't get on your list… he's usually pretty fun to follow, but I can appreciate you trying to get others on the list first 🙂

  205. kat neville on March 2, 2009 at 11:44 am said:

    Yea, it's a hard line– I don't actually have many notorious web developers I follow, just web developer mates (who are brilliant, but not that famous). I'm surprised @elliottkember didn't get on your list… he's usually pretty fun to follow, but I can appreciate you trying to get others on the list first 🙂

  206. kat neville on March 2, 2009 at 6:40 am said:

    he's a designer as well!

  207. kat neville on March 2, 2009 at 11:40 am said:

    he's a designer as well!

  208. ryancarson on March 2, 2009 at 6:31 am said:

    What's Calvin's twitter username?

  209. ryancarson on March 2, 2009 at 6:31 am said:

    I didn't include @Malarkey because he's a designer – he'll appear in the designer list 🙂

  210. ryancarson on March 2, 2009 at 11:31 am said:

    What's Calvin's twitter username?

  211. ryancarson on March 2, 2009 at 11:31 am said:

    I didn't include @Malarkey because he's a designer – he'll appear in the designer list 🙂

  212. theamoeba on March 2, 2009 at 6:21 am said:

    thank you – very useful list.

  213. Buzzlair Voufincci on March 2, 2009 at 6:21 am said:

    Hey you gotta add calvin from mayhem studios .

  214. oops… make that @Malarkey! (need another coffee)

  215. Great list – can I suggest adding @malarky, @brucel, and @chrisspooner to the list? They are some of my favourites 🙂

  216. ryancarson on March 2, 2009 at 5:57 am said:

    Hey Kat – You're right, the lines often blur. However, I included folks that definitely wouldn't be considered designers (Molly H and Eric Meyer for example). Feel free to make any suggestions though.

    • Mark Guadalupe on September 18, 2010 at 9:14 pm said:

      Is Xeni Jardin @xenijardin a Web Developer?? She’s a tv personality/blogger/journalist right?

      I check on wikipedia and nothing there say that she or was a developer or even a designer. Or maybe you could give some highlights about her developer experience.

      Thanks..

  217. ryancarson on March 2, 2009 at 10:57 am said:

    Hey Kat – You're right, the lines often blur. However, I included folks that definitely wouldn't be considered designers (Molly H and Eric Meyer for example). Feel free to make any suggestions though.

  218. Thanks for the great list 🙂

  219. kat neville on March 2, 2009 at 5:07 am said:

    Nice list, but a lot of these people seem to be very close to “web designer”– a few that I know of just do css/html, which puts them on a close line (developers are always telling me that just doing html/css is lightweight development…very little actually logic just for display).

    Sad to not see that they're not all “proper coders”, especially since you said you're going to do a separate list for web designers anyway. Is there really not 40 great (solely) web developers out there to follow?

  220. kat neville on March 2, 2009 at 10:07 am said:

    Nice list, but a lot of these people seem to be very close to “web designer”– a few that I know of just do css/html, which puts them on a close line (developers are always telling me that just doing html/css is lightweight development…very little actually logic just for display). Sad to not see that they're not all “proper coders”, especially since you said you're going to do a separate list for web designers anyway. Is there really not 40 great (solely) web developers out there to follow?

  221. Phaoloo on March 2, 2009 at 5:02 am said:

    Nice list of tweeps developers should follow on Twitter.

  222. Well done! You created a reasonably long list which makes it possible to actually check them all out without spending half a day. 😉

    I do miss one brilliant tweeting web dev in your list though and that's @pixelprodigy who tweets plenty of useful resources and tips&trix around web development as well as web design. 🙂

  223. Well done! You created a reasonably long list which makes it possible to actually check them all out without spending half a day. 😉 I do miss one brilliant tweeting web dev in your list though and that's @pixelprodigy who tweets plenty of useful resources and tips&trix around web development as well as web design. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Learn to code with Treehouse

Start your 7 day free trial today and get access to hundreds of video courses in web development, design and business!

Learn more