I think there’s a really simple way to build amazing products: Talk to your customers every day.
It requires valuable time, but engaging with your customers on a daily basis has the following benefits:
- Reminds you what sucks about your product (so you can fix it)
- Shows them you care and that you’re human
- Keeps you connected to the product
- Uncovers interesting new feature ideas
- Strengthens your relationship with customers, thus making you happier and them more loyal
- It’s just the right thing to do (your customers pay your mortgage! :D)
Here’s how we do it at Think Vitamin Membership:
- Monday through Thursday (Carsonified works a 4-day week), I email around 10 Think Vitamin Members, thanking them for being customers and asking if they need anything. I’d say about 30% of people respond. I LOVE getting replies to these emails because I always learn something new
- Post to our private Facebook group. I ask questions or post interesting links. It’s a great way to be visible and connected
- Respond to all tweets mentioning us. We use CoTweet to do this
It’s simple really: Be visible, communicate a ton, show your passion. If you have any great tips for staying connected with your customers, please share in the comments!