Editors note: Learn more about measuring the success of your site at Future of Web Apps Miami – February 22nd – 24th 2010. Buy your ticket now.
Hidden away under the labs tab is a feature called “Fetch as Googlebot”. With “Fetch as Googlebot” you are able to see exactly how a page appears to Google when it’s crawled. Here’s the results for carsonified.com/blog. Click the image below to see it full size.
Why is this useful?
- It allows you to troubleshoot a page’s poor performance in search results. For example it will identify content that can’t be crawled by Google.
- It can help identify if your site has been hacked with malicious and undesired content
- It identifies he HTTP response returned by your server
- It highlights the HTML code as seen by Google. Useful if you use a lot of generated content in the page.
Other useful tools
As well as “Fetch as Googlebot” Webmaster Tools has a number of useful options including:
- Sitemap submission
- Facility to edit your sitelinks (links that appear beneath the pages search result in Google)
- Help with reindexing your site if you move it to a new domain
- Top search queries, keywords and subscriber stats
- Help with robots.txt files
- Crawler stats
You can find more out about Webmaster Tools on the Google web site.