With FOWD (Future of Web Design) London only a couple of weeks away we thought it would be a good opportunity to look back to the last Future of Web Design event which took place in New York in November 2008.
Mike Kus, designer at Carsonified, gave a quick fire 15 minute talk entitled “Whatever happened to the Art in Design?”. In it he describes ways in which thinking of web design in a more artistic way will maximize the impact of your site designs.
Here’s a quick summary of his talk:
- The 50% thing: Remember the visible pixels on the screen are only 50% of your canvas
- Preparation: By knowing your subject matter well you will arm yourself with the knowledge to create well thought out and meaningful ideas
- Get Inspired: Get yourself into a headspace where you’re totally consumed by ideas for your project
- Idea, Concept, Story: It’s the idea, concept or story within your design that can take a website from a good design to a work of art
- Ditch your Mac: Get back to basics with paper and a pen
- Execution: Attention to detail is the difference between a good design and a great design
Download a PDF of Mike’s hand drawn talk summary leaflet.