Just a quick post to say thank you to everyone who checked out our new podcast yesterday. We are really pleased with the positive feedback and helpful hints and tips you left in the comments and on Twitter.
In terms of content it seems the mix of topics appealed and a lot of you found the length about right. What we definitely need to improve on is the sound quality and our mic techniques. It turns out a lot of you had difficulty hearing the show and we will do all we can to improve that for episode two.
What we learned thanks to your help
- Pop shields are essential – these will be purchased
- Mic technique is critical – I was perhaps too close whilst others dipped in and out. We often referred to our laptops for items which caused us to move away from the mic whilst still talking. Answer could be a bigger table.
- Exporting to mp3 – Bit rate is important. I have delved deeper into the settings and will export further episodes at a higher rate.
- iTunes doesn’t update that quickly – Although people could find the show in the iTunes podcast directory episode one wasn’t appearing. It was in the RSS feed but was not in iTunes. It is there now.
- Use an external RSS feed provider – This would solve the problem of having your iTunes feed aligned to a blog post. Currently publishing the podcast feed through WordPress means that I have to make a post live in order to populate the feed. Moving to an external host would solve this, allow us to check the show is in iTunes and then post the show notes later.
- Shownotes and transcript – They are coming, as is a full transcript. We intend on using Casting Words but are open to suggestions.
- Direct link to audio file – This was an omission. Jeremy Keith commented that this would be useful for those who “Huff Duff“. This will be there on future posts.
Hints and tips
I would love to do a post on here regarding podcasting. If you have any hints and tips you would like to share, be it about software, recording techniques, ideas for kit then please pop a comment in below. I will collate them and publish with full credits if we get enough.
All ten Crush It books have now been claimed. I will be notifying winners next week. What competition? Listen to the very end of the podcast and it will all make sense.