Wiley and Treehouse are pleased to announced the release of the third book in the Treehouse series: iOS 6 Foundations. iOS Foundations is a practical introduction for using iOS 6 to create universal apps. Use it as a companion to Treehouse’s iOS courses, and you’ll have everything you need to build apps for iPhone and iPad.
If you have prior experience programming in an object-oriented language and are eager to start building universal apps for iPad and iPhone (including the iPod touch), then this is the book for you! Using the latest version of iOS (iOS 6) along with the latest version of Xcode (Xcode 4.5), this book is a practical introduction rather than just a catalog of components. Full-color and packed with groundbreaking, innovative designs, this book teaches you how to create eye-catching, unique apps.
iOS 6 Foundations teaches you the various aspects of iOS development beginning with getting started with iOS 6, getting up to speed with Xcode, and learning the tools for developing with Objective-C. It reviews building the user interface with Xcode and Interface Builder, details how to set up your app in iTunes connect and distribute it through the app store, walks you through adding features like geo-location and twitter sharing, and helps you avoid common pitfalls and design decisions related to user experience and iOS programming.
What’s Inside the Book?
iOS 6 Foundations is organized so that each chapter builds on the previous, providing you with a blueprint for completely building an app by the end of the book. To give you a better idea of what you’ll learn, here’s a breakdown of the chapters:
- Who Should Read This Book? 1
- What You Will Learn 2
- How to Use This Book 3
- Using This Book with Treehouse 4
Part 1: Introducing iOS
- Chapter 1: Getting Started with iOS 6 7
- Chapter 2: Getting Up to Speed with Xcode 25
- Chapter 3: Looking Ahead—Planning Your App 53
- Chapter 4: Designing the Party Planner App 63
Part 2: Storyboards: The Building Blocks of iOS Apps
- Chapter 5: Walking Through the iPhone Storyboard 81
- Chapter 6: Working with Storyboard Inspectors 101
- Chapter 7: Laying Out Your Scenes and Views 119
Part 3: Building the Party Planner App
- Chapter 8: Building on the Data Model 131
- Chapter 9: Building the Detail Data View 153
- Chapter 10: Saving and Restoring Data 183
- Chapter 11: Testing the App with the Debugger 201
Part 4: Using Table and Collection Views
- Chapter 12: Exploring the Table View in the Template 219
- Chapter 13: Formatting Table Cells 245
- Chapter 14: Editing Table Views 275
Part 5: Interacting with Users
- Chapter 15: Telling Users the News: Alerts and NSError 297
- Chapter 16: Getting Input from Users: Alerts and Action Sheets 309
- Chapter 17: Back to the Storyboard: Enhancing the Interface 319
To celebrate the launch of iOS 6 Foundations, we’re going to give away 3 copies of this awesome book to the three individuals that can dream up the best ideas for an iPhone or iPad app. Just let your imagination run wild and tell us about your idea in the comments. We’ll pick our favorite three based on creativity, simplicity, and unique problem-solving.
Good luck with your ideas and we hope you win! If you absolutely can’t wait to get your hands on a copy, be sure to grab iOS 6 Foundations on Amazon today!