In this video from The Future of Web Apps London (FOWA), Kevin Rose, founder of Digg, WeFollow and Revision3, shares 9 things he did to increase his users to 1,000,000 and beyond.
- Ask yourself: Does this feature increase the users self-worth or stoke the ego?
- If a user is contributing to my system, what emotional rewards do they walk away with? What (visible) rewards will they receive?
- Stop over building features
- Pick 2-3 things to focus on
- Ask yourself: Is there anything I can take out of this feature?
#3. Build & Release
- Stop thinking you understand your users
- Learn from what they’re actually doing on your site, not what you think they’ll do
- Decide on what you’re going to build… and build it (avoid analysis paralysis)
- Build, release, iterate, and repeat
#4. Hack The Press
- Invite only system (Pownce, Digg v3)
- Talk to the junior bloggers
- Attend parties for events you can’t afford – network w/influencers, bring a demo
#5. Connect with your community
- Start a podcast (it’s OK if not everyone listens)
- Throw a launch party, then yearly/quarterly events – invite the press/influencers personally – don’t tell the bar
- Engage w/the community, be an active participant your own ecosystem
- What technical problems are you going to have?
- Advisors can be helpful in a whole slew of areas (marketing/hiring/bizdev)
- Stock compensation, typically not a board seat, solid advisors help during fund raising
#7. Leverage your userbase to spread the word
#8. Does your product provide value for 3rd party sites?
#9. Analyze your traffic
- Install Google analytics
- Entrance sources (search?)
- Paths through site
- Top exit pages